Excel ROW Function
How to use the ROW Function (WS)
This Excel tutorial explains how to use the Excel ROW function with syntax and examples.
The Excel ROW function returns the row number for a reference.
- ROW(B6) returns 6, since B6 is the sixth row in the spreadsheet.
- When no reference is provided, ROW returns the row number of the cell which contains the formula.
To get the row number of a reference.
The ROW function returns a numeric value.
The ROW function syntax has the following arguments:
- reference: Optional. The cell or range of cells for which you want to return the row number.
- If the reference parameter is omitted, it assumes that the reference is the cell address in which the ROW function has been entered in.
Use reference to get row number of a reference.
- If reference is omitted, it is assumed to be the reference of the cell in which the ROW function appears.
- If reference is a range of cells, and if ROW is entered as a vertical array, ROW returns the row numbers of reference as a vertical array.
- Reference cannot refer to multiple areas.